As part of the Amsterdam Privacy Conference held earlier this week in The Netherlands, professors from the UC Berkeley School of Law presented research on US consumer attitudes toward online privacy and the concept of “do not track” (DNT) in particular. The three professors behind the research, Chris Jay Hoofnagle, Jennifer M. Urban and Su Li, have published several consumer privacy studies, most recently in the context of mobile payments.
This new survey, supporting the report “Privacy and Modern Advertising,” was conducted among a nationally representative sample of 1,203 US adult internet users in Q1 of this year.
Like fighting spam and click fraud, finding and nixing bad ads on AdWords is a continually escalating battle. One telling stat the company revealed in a blog post today: 134 million. That’s how many ads Google axed in 2011, a 136% rise from the year before. Back in 2008, the company only disapproved 25 million ads.
Danny Sullivan was graciously the trial run for the first attempt at this regular series produced by SLCSEM.org - Utah’s Professional Association of Search & Digital Marketers. The format is an informal Q&A with keynote speakers visiting Utah and speaking to a crowd of #SLCSEM SEO’s, brand marketers and search advertising professionals.
The sound goes in & out a little (fixing audio for next event), so we’ve included the questions in slides within the video & below for reference.
Questions asked in this video:
1. What is your favorite word or acronym in Search Marketing today?
2. What is your LEAST favorite word or acronym in Search Marketing?
3. What aspects of Search & Social turn you on?
4. What about search & social media turn you off?
5. What is your favorite search feature or tool — past or present?
6. What search feature do you hate the most?
7. What is your favorite search term or keyword query to test algo changes with?
8. If you weren’t doing this for a profession, what other profession would you most like to do?
9. What SEO/SEM activity would you NOT want to do?
10. If heaven exists & Steve Jobs is there, what do you want to hear him say if you see him there?
Interview by: Elisabeth Osmeloski (@ElisabethOs), President of SLCSEM.org, also Executive Features Editor of Search Engine Land.